As stressful as moving to a new home can be for you and your family, it can be even harder on your pets. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help your furry or feathered friends calmer and happier during your moving process. In order to help you have the smoothest move possible, here are a few tips for moving with pets!
1. Pick a pet-safe home to move to
It might sound obvious, but a big part of moving with your pet is confirming that your new home accepts pets. Before you sign an apartment lease or schedule your condo closing, do some research to confirm that your pet is welcome at your new building.
Next, check out your surroundings to make sure your environment is safe for your pet. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Will the interior of your new home require any modifications to be pet-safe?
- Are there any plants in your outdoor area that could be toxic to your pet?
- Will you need to choose a new veterinary service if you’re moving far away, or is your new home still close to your favorite vet?
Then you can move onto the fun stuff! Check out your new neighborhood’s dog parks and local pet supply stores. This will help both you and your best buddy be comfortable in your new digs!
2. Plan your move well to avoid stressing out yourself—and your pet
It’s a fact of life: the more prepared you are, the less stress you’ll feel. And since some pets like dogs can sense their owner’s stress, planning your move and keeping yourself calm goes a long way to keeping your pet calm throughout the moving process.
Here are a few ways that you can plan for a stress-free move for you and your pet:
- Use a moving checklist to keep you organized.
- Get some packing supplies like rental plastic moving boxes several weeks before your move so you can chip away at the large task of packing your home.
- Research a few Chicago moving companies and request multiple estimates. Only book with the local mover that you’re most comfortable with. You deserve to have peace of mind when you move!
Also, remember to make time for your pet as you pack up your home. They might not understand exactly what’s happening, but if you create a safe place for them even amid some packing chaos and clutter, you’ll help them remain calm, confident, and happy.
3. Find a safe place for your pet on move day
When your movers arrive to begin wrapping your furniture and moving all of your possessions out of your home, you’ll want to make sure that your pet is in a safe place.
This is particularly important if you have a dog or cat. Your four-legged friend might try to slip out through an open door. In order to keep them safe, ask a friend or family member if you can bring your pet to them before your move begins. If that’s not an option, consider a cage, a pet carrier, or just keeping them in a closed room.
It’s important to note that moving companies will not move living things. You will be responsible for transporting your pet to your new home. If you have a bird, make sure the cage is clean before your movers arrive. And if you have aquarium pets like fish or reptiles, you’ll need to remove the animals and clean their dwellings.
The best moving companies in Chicago will help you and your pet have a great move. If you’re concerned about keeping your furry, feathered, or scaly friend happy and safe on move day, just contact your local mover. They’ll be happy to lend some advice!
Let Move-tastic! help you and your pet have a great move!
Move-tastic! knows that even though you might have some nice furniture, your pet is one of the most important aspects of your home. And we love to help our clients move with their pets! We’ll help you plan a stress-free move so that you and your best buddy can start relaxing in your new home.
Visit our website to learn about our services and to request a free estimate!