by Peter Emmanuel Rossi, a professional hot tub designer, expert, and founder of ByRossi.
The last thing you want to worry about when you are moving is your jewelry. Packing and transport can be a hassle, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. This article will help you to do this quickly and easily.
You’ve decided to move and have the daunting task of packing up your entire life. Our movers will help you to do this quickly and without struggle. Also, don’t forget about your jewelry! These precious pieces need special care against damage in transit. That’s why you need to have some instructions on how to move some expensive or extensive items like hot tubs.
In this article, you’ll learn five simple tips for packing your jewelry for moving, and everything will be Move-tastic!
Why do we need to pack your jewelry for moving?
We need to take care of our jewelry while packing for moving because they are very delicate and precious items. If we put them correctly, we can avoid any damage or loss during the move. Whether you are packing it up and taking it with you or shipping it ahead, here are five tips to help protect your precious pieces:
- Get a small box or pouch to put all your jewelry in one place. It will prevent them from getting lost amid everything else.
- Wrap each piece of jewelry individually in a soft cloth or tissue paper. It will cushion them and keep them from scratching each other.
- Fill any empty spaces with cotton balls or padding to prevent movement.
- Place heavier pieces on the bottom of the box.
- Seal the box or pouch tightly so nothing can fall or get lost.
- Label the box or pouch with “fragile” and “do not open” to ensure that nobody will damage it.
5 Tips pack your jewelry correctly
We all know that feeling when we start packing for moving. It’s a pain, especially if you must carefully wrap each of your delicate items. But what about your jewelry? Your rings, necklaces, and earrings are some of the most precious things you own, so you’ll want to take extra care while packing them up. Here are five tips on how to pack your jewelry for moving:
Use the case method
It is an excellent method if you have small, delicate jewelry. The two most famous cases to pack the jewelry are pill cases and sunglasses.
Pill case: Find an old pill case or purchase a new one from the drugstore and line it with cotton balls. Place your jewelry inside and snap the case shut.
- It is excellent for preventing your necklaces from getting knotted together and keeps your rings safe and secure so they don’t get lost in the mix.
- Another benefit of pill cases is that you can easily see what’s inside each one without opening it up.
- It comes in handy when trying to find a particular piece of jewelry in a hurry. Glance at the contents of each case until you spot the piece you’re looking for.
Sunglasses case: It is a perfect tool for packing your jewelry, especially more significant pieces such as rings or bracelets. The soft inner side prevents them from damaging and scratching.
Straws for necklaces and bracelets
If you have many necklaces and bracelets, you can keep them from tangling by threading them through the straws. Slip each chain into the straw and, if the length allows, pinch it, so it does not slip out of it. You can then put the straws in a Ziploc bag or other container to keep them safe during the move.
Pack jewelry in an organizer
Another great way to protect your jewelry during a move is to pack it in an organizer. It will keep your pieces from getting lost or damaged during packing. You can find organizers designed explicitly for jewelry at most stores that sell these products. Or you can create it with a single box and several cardboard strips.
Ziploc bags are our best friends
Ziploc bags are a great way to keep your jewelry organized and tangle-free while moving.
- Put each piece of jewelry in its bag and label the bag, so you know what’s inside. You don’t want to be searching through a bunch of loads trying to find that one piece of jewelry.
- If you have any delicate or fragile jewelry pieces, wrap them individually in soft cloths or bubble wrap before placing them in a Ziploc bag. That way, they’ll be extra protected during the move.
And don’t forget to insure your jewelry during the move!
Invest in a travel jewelry case
Investing in a travel jewelry case is one of the best ways to protect your jewelry while moving. It is especially beneficial if you regularly travel because you do not need to spend time when it’s necessary to move somewhere. These cases are designed specifically for storing and transporting delicate jewelry items, and they can help keep your pieces safe from damage during transit.
If you don’t want to splurge on a travel jewelry case, you can use a small box or pouch to store your jewelry while packing. Just make sure to line the inside of the box or bag with soft fabric or padding to prevent your jewelry from getting scratched or tangled.
How to move my packed jewelry
There are a few ways to transport your packed jewelry when moving. You can either carry it with you on the move or ship it ahead of time. Use a reputable shipping company to insure your package if you choose to send it. Besides, moving companies can’t transport high-value items such as jewelry, essential papers, coin collections, money, etc. We are not responsible for these things according to the state legislation. So we offer several ways to move your packed jewelry:
- Armored courier services: This type of service uses secure transportation to ensure that your jewelry arrives safely at its destination. Armored courier services are typically used for high-value items so they may be more expensive than other shipping options. However, the added security is worth the cost if you move valuable jewelry.
- Ship via registered mail: If you have time before your move, ship your jewelry via registered mail. It will ensure that it is appropriately insured and that you have proof of delivery. This moving method can be expensive, but it’s worth it for your most precious pieces.
- Another option is to store your jewelry in a safety deposit box at your new bank. It is a good option if you have valuable pieces you don’t want to risk losing during the move.
- Hand-deliver your jewelry to a friend or family member who lives near your new home. This way, you’ll know where it is at all times, and you won’t have to worry about getting lost in the move.
- Finally, if you have any particular sentimental or irreplaceable pieces, you may want to consider wearing them on the day of the movement. This way, you’ll know exactly where they are, and they’ll be safe from getting lost or damaged in transit.
Packing your jewelry for moving doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. By following these simple tips, you can protect your precious pieces and ensure they arrive at your new home safely and sound. Moving is a stressful enough experience without having to worry about your jewelry getting lost or damaged in the process. But with some planning and care, you can pack it safely and efficiently. So, take a deep breath, relax, and start packing with Move-tastic!