Planning a move can be stressful. And if you want to have an ecofriendly move, how do you know where to start? In order to help you have a green move—and in honor of Earth Day 2023—the best movers in Chicago put together these pro tips on how to have a smooth, ecofriendly, and wallet-friendly move!
Unfortunately, moving creates a lot of waste, including 900 million cardboard boxes and 30 million rolls of tape. However, you can take advantage of ecofriendly moving materials, declutter your home, and plan your way to an Earth-friendly and stress-free moving experience.
1. Use ecofriendly packing and moving supplies
When you think of moving supplies, cardboard boxes and tape probably come to mind. However, there are many ecofriendly materials that you can use to safely pack up your belongings. And they can even save you money! Here are a few ideas:
- Clothing and bed linens. Some of the best packing materials are right in front of you! Stay away from wasteful, single-use products like bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Instead, wrap your delicates in sweatshirts, blankets, and other linens.
- Suitcases and duffle bags. There’s no need to transport empty containers, especially when they’re built to transport clothing! Pack up your suitcases and duffle bags instead of cardboard boxes. You can even ask your friends and family to borrow some of their travel gear while you move!
- Rental plastic moving boxes. Once your suitcases are full, order some sturdy plastic moving boxes to avoid wasting cardboard and tape. In many cases, you can even have them delivered to your old home before your move and picked up from your new place after you’ve unpacked. These rental companies even sell and recyclable packing paper and rent wardrobe boxes, so be sure to explore their full offerings!
Ecofriendly packing and moving supplies will put you on the right track to having an ecofriendly move. However, don’t move anything unnecessarily! Many people declutter before their move to reduce the amount of items they bring to their new home.
2. Declutter before you move
There are many reasons to declutter your home before your move. First, getting rid of items you no longer want or need will save you money! Moving companies charge by the hour, so the less they move, the less time your move will take—and the lower your final bill will be.
Additionally, decluttering gives you a fresh start in your new home since you won’t have to find places to stash items that you haven’t used in a long time. And when you reduce the amount of stuff you have, you can even reduce the waste you produce!
Here are a few ways that you can declutter in the weeks leading up to your move:
- Donate items to local shelters or charities.
- Recycle any items that can be recycled at your local drop-off center.
- Eat all of your perishable food so you don’t waste anything.
Decluttering is a fantastic way to help your move be more ecofriendly. So be sure to include it in your overall move plan!
3. Plan ahead to prevent unnecessary trips
Planning ahead is one of the best ways to ensure that you have a smooth and ecofriendly move. In order to help you stay on top of things, take advantage of a free moving checklist so you don’t miss a single step. And start planning at least one month ahead to avoid unnecessary trips between your old and new homes!
It sounds pretty obvious, but every time you drive your car to drop off items at your new place, you’re increasing your move’s carbon footprint. So plan ahead! Determine what you can fit in your personal vehicle, and what items you’ll need your movers to pack in their moving truck on your actual move day. In addition to keeping your move as green as possible, making less trips can reduce your stress since you’ll have less running around to do.
If you have any questions or need some advice on planning your move, just get in touch with your local mover. The best moving companies in Chicago want to help you have the best moving experience possible, so don’t hesitate to ask them for some pro tips!
The best movers in Chicago can help you have an ecofriendly move
You deserve a smooth, ecofriendly, and cost-efficient move. As Chicago’s favorite movers, Move-tastic! can help you check all three of these boxes.
Contact us to learn more about how we can help you save some stress—and the planet!