Moving is exciting. It’s the beginning of a new chapter of your life! But it can also be stressful and expensive. Hiring professional movers will help alleviate some of the stress since you know you’ll be taken care of by a hardworking group of experts. But how much does it cost to move in Chicago, and how can you keep your moving costs down?
The best way to control your moving costs is to be informed about what your local moving company takes into account when they provide you with an estimate. You’ll need to know the factors that affect the price of the move and what variables you can control. When you equip yourself with this knowledge, you’ll be able to find the best price with a moving service that can meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
How to keep your moving costs low
There are many variables that affect the price of the move. It can seem daunting, but don’t worry! When you know which factors might increase your cost, you can put yourself in great position to keep your moving costs as low as possible.
What factors affect the price of a move?
Professional moving services take several factors into account when they estimate your move. Some of them are common sense: the larger your home and the more materials you have, the more expensive the move will be. But there are other factors that affect the price. And if you’re educated about these factors, you can really save some money.
Professional moving services charge by the hour. Although some costs are unavoidable, there are ways that you can control the price. Here’s a short list of the factors that impact your moving cost the most:
- The size of your home and inventory list. Clearly, a 1-bedroom apartment will be faster to move than a 4-bedroom house. If you’re moving to or from a large home, you should anticipate higher costs. When you request an estimate from your local moving service, make sure you provide as much detail and accuracy as possible regarding your belongings—including quantity of boxes. The more accurate your inventory is, the closer your movers will get to the estimate on moving day.
- Stairs and elevators. Professional moving services take stairs, elevators, and distance from your door to their truck into account when providing an estimate. For example: if you’re moving to and from a single-family home with a driveway, the Movers will be able to get to and from the truck quickly. But if the movers are going up and down many flights of stairs—or if they have to wait for elevators—the time will increase.
- Moving materials. Moving companies are your partner throughout the move. They can provide packing supplies like wardrobe boxes, packing boxes, bubble wrap, and specialty packing for TVs, art, and mirrors. Many moving companies also offer rental services for sturdy, reusable plastic packing bins. These bins are not only better for the environment than cardboard boxes—they can save you money, too. Ask your moving company’s Customer Service Team if they provide these reusable bins.
- Travel time. Professional moving services generally charge a flat travel fee from their facility to your first location, and from your final destination back to their facility. If a moving company is close to one or both of your locations, you might be able to save money. Your movers are on the clock during the drive from your old home to your new home. So, if there’s a long drive or heavy traffic, you will have to pay their hourly rate while they’re en route.
- Declared valuation. Even when items are packed and prepared in a professional manner, it’s possible that something might be damaged. Fortunately, the law is here to protect you! All professional moving services in the state of Illinois are legally required to offer Carrier Liability, which basically means that your moving company assumes liability for all items they’re transporting at a set rate of $0.30 per pound. If you have valuables and expensive materials, you might want to add Declared Valuation. This is extra insurance that you pay for. In general, Declared Valuation will cost you about $100 per each $10,000 of declared value.
- Timing. Many people choose to move during the milder months, especially in a place with cold, snowy winters like Chicago! But did you know that your timing can affect the price of your move? Hourly moving rates tend to be a little lower in the slower moving season (November through February) and a little higher during their peak season (March through October).
How much do movers cost per hour?
The hourly cost for Movers varies according to how many people will be on your crew. Most professional moving companies have flat crew rates rather than a “per Mover” rate. Here are some examples of crew rates per hour for moving services in Chicago:
- 2-person crew: $120-$140 per hour
- 3-person crew: $160-$180 per hour
- 4-person crew: $220-$240 per hour
Most moving services also have minimums, so be sure to ask the Customer Service team about that if you have a smaller move. The standard minimum is 2 hours.
What prices to expect when moving within Chicagoland
Now you know what factors affect the cost of moving and you have a general idea of the hourly rates that you can expect. So, how do you anticipate the cost of your move? The best way is to request estimates from your local moving companies. But here are some pointers and basic parameters.
How much do movers cost for a local move?
The cost for a local move varies. Pricing is determined by the size of your home, the quantity of items on your inventory list, any packing or moving materials you need, and the travel time needed for the moving crew to get to each location. When you plan ahead, you’ll be able to find the best price with a moving company that fits all of your needs.
Before booking with a local moving company, make sure you’re happy with their service as well as your price. Did their Customer Service Team answer all of your questions quickly and fully? Do they have positive online reviews? Yes, moving can be expensive. But don’t sacrifice quality service for a low price. Considering only the bottom line of a move can cost you money and headaches in the long-run, especially if there are damages to your home or belongings during the move.
How much does it cost to move a standard 2 bedroom home?
Two of the main factors that affect the cost of a move are the size of your home and the length of your inventory list. Some people might have a large home, but have a relatively short list of possessions that need to be moved. Other people have a lot of furniture, wall hangings, etc. in each room, so their move will take longer. Each and every home is unique, which makes each and every move unique.
It is very difficult for professional moving services to provide an estimate based on averages because there are so many variables. However, a standard 2-bedroom apartment or condo tends to take around 6-8 hours. If you’re moving to and from a 2-bedroom home and have an average amount of materials, you can expect the move to cost between $500-$1000. The safest way to budget for your move is to obtain a custom estimate, so contact your local moving company early in your planning phase.
Why you should hire professional movers
When you hire a professional moving service, you are asking a caring partner to help you through a stressful situation. The best moving companies will help you plan. They’ll take good care of your belongings. They’ll even provide additional services like packing and storage. Professional movers will not only save you money in the long run—they’ll save you stress, too.
How will hiring professional movers save you money in the long run?
Hiring a professional moving service ensures that you will have a team of experts on your side during the stressful event of moving. Additionally, it can save you money in the long run. You have many great talents, but packing and moving might not be at the top of that list. The best moving companies formally train their employees to take great care with your belongings, so you can rest assured that your materials will be packed, loaded, and unloaded with your best interest in mind.
Teaming up with moving experts also saves you time. Your local moving company should be able to provide any packing or moving supplies you might need before or during the move. Many of them can also store your materials for as long as you need. Try to find a one-stop-shop that offers supplies, packing service, moving, and storage. This will save you many hours and lots of frustration!
Do moving companies also provide packing service?
The best moving services in Chicago don’t just stop at moving—they offer packing services too. There are probably a hundred things you’d rather do with your time than fill dozens of boxes with your belongings in preparation for your move. Professional moving services know that your time is valuable, and they’re happy to take the packing headache off of your to-do list.
Find the best moving service to fit your needs
Preparation is your key to a successful and low-cost move. When you know what costs to expect and what questions to ask your potential moving partners, you can make the best decision on which moving company to hire. The moving industry is a service-based industry, so make sure that you’re getting the best service available. Contact us today to find out how we can serve you!