In order to have a smooth and efficient move, a lot of pieces have to fall into place. Your have to pack your materials well. You have to hire a great moving service. And everything has to be timed perfectly! In fact, timing challenges are some of the most frustrating obstacles that people who are moving face. Sometimes your new home just won’t be ready the same day you have to move out of your old home. And that’s where overnight storage service comes in!
Why do you need overnight storage service?
It’s pretty common for moving clients to request overnight storage service from their moving company. That’s why many local movers offer both moving and storage services. Here are a few examples of why you might need your belongings stored for a night or two:
- Terms of lease. Many leases end on the last day of the month, and landlords sometimes don’t want new tenants moving in until the first of the month.
- Home closing delays. There are lots of moving parts when you schedule your closing. Everyone’s schedules must line up—and the COVID-19 pandemic has caused a lot of title companies have been short staffed or operate with truncated hours. According to a report published by the National Association of Realtors in April 2021, 22% of closings are delayed. So if your closing date was pushed back, don’t worry—you’re not alone!
- Home projects. Sometimes you just need your large furniture removed from your home for a few days. Projects like small renovations, new flooring installation, and plumbing or electrical work often lead people to request temporary or overnight storage.
Whatever your reason for needing overnight storage, your local moving company can help. Just be sure to ask them how their storage service works.
How does overnight storage service work?
In general, there are three steps involved in overnight storage:
- Your move crew moves you out of your old home and packs your materials onto their moving truck.
- The crew brings the truck back to their company’s facility for overnight storage.
- Your move crew meets you at your new home the next day and brings your materials inside.
Before you confirm your overnight storage booking with your local mover, find out what security measures they’ll take to protect your materials while they’re being stored. How will they lock the truck overnight? Is their facility secure and under video surveillance? Since your belongings will be in your moving company’s possession overnight, you want to have peace of mind that they’ll be safe.
If you need to store your materials for a longer period of time, just let your moving company know. Many movers also offer long term storage options and can hold onto your belongings for several weeks, months, or even years. And if you have some small or seasonal items, be sure to ask if your moving company provides micro storage.
You need an expert team to load your belongings, securely store them overnight, and safely bring them to your new home the next day. Move-tastic! isn’t just Chicago’s favorite moving service—we’re also Chicago’s easiest storage service.