Moving can be expensive and stressful. Whether you’re moving across the country or across the neighborhood, it’s easy for costs and anxiety to skyrocket. You’re probably aware that hiring professional movers will You’re probably save you stress—and muscle aches! But did you also know that it will also save you money?
The first step in deciding between hiring professional movers and moving yourself is to understand the price of each option. There are unexpected costs associated with moving yourself, and there are factors that professional moving services take into account when they provide you with an estimate. If you equip yourself with this knowledge, you’ll be able to make the best decision to fit your needs.
Why you should hire professional movers
Your possessions are important. Many of them are full of sentimental value. Many of them have a high monetary value. And they all deserve the best care possible during your move. When you hire a professional moving service, you are partnering with a team of experts who focus on protecting your belongings. Let them do the hard work and heavy lifting to get you out of your old home and into your new home.
How could it cost more money to move yourself over hiring professional movers?
Many people believe that the “do it yourself” method is always cheaper. But that’s not necessarily the case. For instance, you might run into some unexpected costs associated with moving yourself:
- Time. Professional movers save you time. And time is money. It takes a lot of time to pack your items, load a rental truck, drive to your new home, and unload the truck. Every moment that you spend on these tasks is a moment that you could spend doing something more valuable—or more fun!
- Money. Renting a moving truck is more expensive than most companies advertise. In addition to the daily rate, you’ll need to pay for insurance, taxes, and fuel. Many rental truck companies also stock their trucks with their own supplies and charge you for anything you open to your final bill.
- Stress. Think about the steps involved in moving yourself.
- First, you have to pack up all of your possessions safely so that nothing breaks.
- Second, you have to carry heavy boxes and furniture to load up the truck. You need special talent to load a moving truck. You have to make sure that everything is secured so your possessions don’t slide around and get damaged in transit. This includes having to buy or rent special equipment like ratchet straps, which can be difficult to use.
- Third, you’ll drive the truck to your destination. You’ll need to know what streets and roads don’t allow large trucks—and which bridges are too low for your truck! Once you arrive, you’ll likely need to parallel park the truck, which is a special talent all on its own.
- Fourth, you’ll have to carry everything inside your new home and begin unpacking.
- Fifth, when you’re finally done with the heavy lifting, you’ll have to refuel the truck before returning it. But not all gas stations are equipped for large box trucks, so there is more time and research involved here.
All of these headaches can be easily avoided by hiring professional movers. Because of this, a professional moving service is the best option for most people.
Why is it worth paying for a professional moving service?
There are several reasons why it’s worth paying to hire a professional moving service:
- Peace of mind. When you have the best movers in Chicago working for you, you can rest assured that your move will be performed safely, efficiently, and economically.
- Personal safety. Professional movers are not only trained in packing and moving. They are trained on the safest way to lift heavy objects and conditioned for the physical demands of moving. If you’re not formally trained in moving, you could seriously injure yourself and any friends or family that are helping you move.
- Liability. On the off chance that something is damaged during your move, you can place a claim with your moving company for repair or replacement. All moving companies must provide carrier liability to cover some damages and losses. If you move by yourself, you’ll have to pay the full cost for any damages.
Packing and moving require special talents that not everyone possesses. It’s not as simple as tossing stuff into a box and then throwing the box onto a truck. Professional movers use special materials and methods to safely pack and transport your materials. Let the experts carefully and expertly wrap, transport, and unload your prized possessions. Don’t risk damage by doing it yourself.
How you can save money when hiring professional movers
There are ways to save money when you hire professional movers. The best ways to control your costs are to understand what factors affect the cost of your move and to be as prepared as possible on your moving day. When you equip yourself with the right facts, you are setting yourself up for a successful move.
What factors affect the cost of a move?
There are many variables that affect the price of a move. While some of these are common sense like the size of your home and length of your inventory list, there are also factors that you might not have considered. Here are some of the lesser-known factors that your local moving company takes into account when you request an estimate:
- Stairs and elevators. Of course the size of your home and length of your inventory list are the main factors that affect the cost of your move. But walking up and down multiple flights of stairs—or waiting for elevators to bring your items to and from your apartment or condo—will increase the time it takes to move. Keep in mind that your large items also need to be expertly moved through small staircases and into elevators. Even more reason to let the professionals handle your move!
- Declared valuation and insurance. The law requires moving companies to provide carrier insurance on each move. But if you have expensive items, you might consider declaring a valuation for your belongings.
- Pianos. Movers have many talents, but moving large pianos is a special niche. Many moving companies will refer you to a local piano-moving expert for grand pianos or baby grands.
- Oversized items. Large and heavy items can take longer to pack and move. Be sure to let your moving company know if you have any safes, armoires, patio furniture, or other items that can’t be disassembled and will take some extra strength to move.
How can you save money when moving?
The best way to save money when planning a move is to be prepared. Be aware of the factors that will affect your moving cost, and ask your moving company a lot of questions to ensure that you have all of the necessary knowledge. Here are a few ways that you can best prepare yourself for a successful move when you partner with a professional moving service:
- Packing. Be fully packed when your moving team arrives. Have everything contained in boxes, sturdy plastic moving boxes, or suitcases. Stay away from single-use materials like garbage bags—those just lead to damage.
- Disassembly and reassembly. While movers are generally equipped to assist with basic furniture disassembly and reassembly. It does take time. If you’re looking to save money on your move, you can take care of furniture disassembly and reassembly on your own.
- Labeling. Make sure that any and all boxes that you pack are clearly labeled with the room it should go in. Also, it’ll help things go quickly if you label the actual rooms in your new home so that your movers can easily find their way around.
- Checking all the nooks and crannies. It’s common to forget about hidden away places like closets and storage units. Be sure to empty out and pack everything. And don’t forget to empty out all dresser drawers—dressers can’t be moved full!
Be sure to take the time to accurately complete the inventory form that your local moving company provides. Moving companies create estimates based on the inventory list that you provide, so the best way to ensure an accurate estimate is to give them all of the information up front.
Also, consider hiring a one-stop shop for all of your moving needs. Many moving companies will provide moving materials and packing services. These companies tend to have the best prices and will save you a lot of time. Don’t chase around boxes, bubble wrap, tape, packers, and friends to help you move. Save yourself money and stress—let the experts do it!
How to hire the best professional movers in Chicago
Your moving company must take excellent care of you beginning with their Customer Service Team. If their front office isn’t willing to spend time communicating with you on the phone and via email, chances are you’ll end up with a lackluster crew on your moving day. So, ask away! Find out what services they provide, and if there are any last-minute charges you can expect. The more you find out at the beginning of your research into moving companies, the more prepared you’ll be for your actual move.
Contact us today to find out how we can help make your move stress-free and economical!