Moving is a big life event. Whether you’re planning your first move or have a few relocations under your belt, you probably have some questions. And as Chicago’s favorite moving company, we’re here to provide answers to ease your mind and set you up for a smooth move. In order to help your move planning process, here are the top ten questions about moving in Chicago that we answer for our clients.
1. How much does it cost to move in Chicago?
The main question that our clients have is about the cost to move in Chicago. Although moving does come with some expense, there are ways to move on a budget. Here are some of our favorite tips that can save you money:
- Provide us with an accurate information so we can create an accurate estimate. We’ll need a complete inventory of what we’re moving, your addresses (extra stops are fine, we just need to know about them), and how many flights of stairs you have.
- Determine how many moving materials you’ll need. We’re happy to help you figure this out! We can provide all the supplies you’ll need. We can even pack your home or office for you before your actual move.
- Figure out when you want to move. Although some moving companies in Chicago charge more for weekend or end-of-month moves, Move-tastic! doesn’t.
- Ask about hourly rates and travel time. Each local mover has their own rates and travel fees, so when you compare different moving estimates, ask about these charges. That way, you’ll be able to compare apples to apples!
2. How can I set myself up for a successful move?
We define a successful move as a smooth, stress-free, and cost-efficient move. Here are a few tips to help you actually enjoy your move day:
- Use a moving checklist to keep you on track.
- Prepare for inclement weather. Keep some towels on hand to wipe down wet boxes if you’re moving in the rain or snow, and clear a path for your movers to work.
- Empty your cabinets and drawers. This keeps your belongings safe, and can even help prevent your movers from getting injured.
You’ll be shocked at your move crew’s speed and efficiency, so no need to help them on your move day. However, feel free to move anything prior to your move crew’s arrival!
3. How far in advance should I book a move?
Although there’s no universal answer to this question, the sooner you book, the better. Move-tastic! operates on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you wait to long to reserve your move, your desired date might be booked up. Keep in mind that weekends and the end of each month are always busy. So if you need to move on a weekend or at month’s end, book as soon as possible!
Booking well in advance also helps you reserve a guaranteed start time. In general, if you schedule a move in the morning, your move crew will arrive at 9am. However, if you wait too long to book, you might have an afternoon slot.
Afternoon moves are common, but they don’t have a hard start time. Move-tastic!’s afternoon moves have a 1pm-5pm arrival window. The move crew’s arrival just depends on how quickly their morning move goes. So if you want a guaranteed start time, book early so you can reserve a morning move.
4. What insurance is available for my move?
You have two liability coverage options when you move:
- Carrier Liability. All licensed moving companies in Illinois must provide their clients with Carrier Liability coverage at no charge. We assume liability for all items we’re transporting at $0.30 per pound per article.
- Declared Valuation. You declare the total value of your items before the move begins. We offer valuation coverage at a rate of $100 per each $10,000 of declared value.
In addition to moving liability coverage, you might need a copy of our COI (certificate of insurance). Many building management companies require a COI prior to the move. The COI legally protects the building in case of property damage during the move, and proves that the moving company has worker’s compensation insurance in case a mover is injured on the property.
It’s very common for our clients to request a certificate of insurance. We just need the building’s specific requirements and who should be listed as the certificate holder and additional insured. Once we have those details, we can get you a COI in about two business days.
5. What are some things the movers cannot do?
Although we try to offer the world to our clients, there are a few things that our movers cannot do. Here are some examples of items that we cannot legally move:
- Currency and coin collections
- Firearms and ammunition
- Flammable items such as gas cans and propane tanks
- Valuable papers and documents like passports, home deeds, and vehicle titles
We can disassemble and reassemble a lot of standard furniture. However, there are some exceptions! For instance: we can disassemble your bunk bed, but due to liability reasons we are not allowed to reassemble it. And since some specialized home gym equipment like Pelotons and MIRROR gym systems recommend that you bring in one of their technicians for a move, we defer to their expertise.
Move-tastic! wants to make sure that you have the best moving experience possible. So if you have a particularly unusual or intricate item, just let us know and we’ll see what we can do to help.
6. How much should I tip movers?
Since moving is a service industry, tipping is customary. If you’d like to show your appreciation for a smooth and efficient move, the next step is figuring out how much to tip movers. And while there’s no universal formula, the industry standard is about $5 – $10 per hour per mover.
How you tip your movers is also up to you. Since you’ll pay for your whole move with cash or credit card after the move is over, you can either tip in cash or add it to your credit card payment. Your movers will be thrilled with your gratuity!
7. Do you move in inclement weather like rain and snow?
We move in all types of weather! In Chicago, you never quite know what it’ll be like outside. So keep an eye on the weather forecast and prepare yourself for rain or snow. Our movers will bring floor runners to keep your hardwood floors dry, and we can bring carpet protectors upon request.
We’ll wrap your furniture to avoid weather damage. If possible, try to have some towels handy to dry off any wet boxes. And we recommend that you don’t ask your movers to stage anything wet on hardwood flooring, as moisture can damage your floors.
8. Are there eco-friendly packing and moving supplies that I can use instead of cardboard boxes?
Traditional moving supplies aren’t very environmentally friendly. Single-use cardboard, packing tape, and bubble wrap create waste that ends up in landfills or our oceans. Fortunately, there are ways to make your move eco-friendly.
First, pack your belongings into any suitcases, duffle bags, or plastic bins you have laying around the house. Second, consider renting reusable packing and moving supplies like reusable moving boxes and wardrobe boxes. These materials help you save the planet. And since they’re less expensive than cardboard and packing tape, they’ll save you money, too!
9. Do I need to hire union movers in Chicago?
In most cases, you do not need to hire union movers in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs. Some large commercial buildings require union labor, so if you’re looking for a professional office mover and have questions or concerns about union laws, please give us a call. We’ll examine your building’s rules to see if you have to hire union movers.
The team at Move-tastic! is not union. We’re just a group of fun-loving, hardworking folks. All of our team members are actually Move-tastic! employees—we do not outsource our labor. And since we consider all team members family, our movers stick around. In fact, some of them have been with us for over ten years!
10. Who are the best movers in Chicago?
You deserve the best movers in Chicago. And although we think we’re the best, we want you to decide for yourself. Here are a few ways to determine which local mover you’ll hire to handle your move:
- Check out their online reviews to see what other clients are saying.
- Make sure they’re licensed by the Illinois Commerce Commission and fully insured.
- Ask if they’re a member of the Illinois Movers’ and Warehousemen’s Association.
- Find out if they offer all of the services you might need, like packing, loading labor, unloading labor, and storage.
Pro tip: just call your local mover and ask any questions you have. If they’re helpful, friendly, and forthcoming with their credentials, chances are you’re working with a good company. Our team at Move-tastic! loves to chat, so contact us anytime!
Let the professionals at Move-tastic! handle your move
You deserve the best professional movers in Chicago. Whether you’re moving your home or office, we’re here to handle your packing, moving, and storage needs. Visit our website to learn more about our services and to request a free estimate!